Massage therapy involves the assessment, treatment, and prevention of physical dysfunction and pain in the body’s soft tissue and joints. At Spectrum Physiotherapy Newmarket, we provide gentle relaxation massages for those interested in stress relief, as well as more comprehensive treatments for those seeking a natural, low impact route to healing. Massage therapy can help treat soft tissue injuries, decrease pain, as well as increase mobility and circulation.
Our team of therapists are Registered Massage Therapists (RMTs), regulated professionals who practice according to a Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice, governed by the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO). Our team has the knowledge and skills to understand a variety of health issues, and adapt our techniques based on your unique condition.
Massage therapy can benefit people of all ages, and can even help prevent illness and other conditions from developing. It can be an excellent complement to your existing care, enhancing the effectiveness of other treatments, like physiotherapy. Massage therapy can decrease the development of painful muscular patterning following a trauma or injury, as well as facilitate more rapid recovery.
Some common conditions we treat with massage therapy include:
- Neck, Shoulder and Back Injury, Pain and Stiffness
- Tension and Migraine Headaches
- Anxiety and Stress
- Jaw (TMJ) Pain and Disorders
- Sports Injuries
- Prenatal Back Pain
- Strokes and Nervous System Disorders
- Strain, Sprain, Tendonitis
- Tingling or Numbness in Fingers and Feet
- Tingling & Numbness in Feet
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Prolapsed/Herniated Disc
Our massage techniques include:
- Swedish Massage: This is a very gentle and relaxing massage.
- Deep Tissue Massage: This massage targets deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue. It can help treat tight or painful muscles, postural problems, and repetitive strains.
- Trigger Point Therapy: Trigger points are small knots that can develop when a muscle is injured or overworked, causing pain. This massage targets these painful points.
- Sports Massage: This massage uses a combination of different techniques, focusing on preventing and treating injury, as well as enhancing athletic performance.
Your First Appointment
We’ll begin by reviewing your health history, and assessing your muscle and skeletal motion and function. We’ll then develop an individualized plan of treatment that will best meet your needs and goals. We encourage you to take an active role in your healing. We’ll ensure that you feel informed and knowledgeable about your treatment plan, and you’re always free to ask for changes.